February 13th, 2015 Update
Changes in Asset Functionality
We made big changes to the way assets work in LibGuides, based upon your suggestions and feedback. Bottom-line, Regular and Editor-level users can now edit assets on guides they've been assigned to, even if they don't own them!
Here's a breakdown of the issues that this fix addressed:
- Admin users can edit all assets, wherever they reside–in guides or in Content > Assets. This has not changed.
- Regular and editor-level accounts can customize fields in assets owned by others on guides they own or have a right to edit.
- When someone leaves your organization, you can reassign ownership of their assets when you reassign ownership of their guides.
What happens if you edit an asset in a guide?
- When editing an asset, an asterisk will appear next to its original location. Edits made to the original location appear wherever that asset is used except where fields have been customized.
- When you reuse an asset, you are creating a mapping of that asset. You can customize certain fields after the fact. Any edits you make to a mapped asset within a guide appear only in that guide.
- Edits made to assets in their original locations are reflected in all mapped copies of that asset, except for any fields that were customized in mappings.
- Instead of reusing and editing a single asset multiple times, consider making your own copy of that asset. Any edits you make on your copy will appear anywhere your copy is reused.
- This is explained more fully in the Managing Assets support guide.
New in-context help icons will get you help, STAT, right where you are. The types of information you’ll see are:
- Links: a gray or orange question mark indicates general information. Click the ? to be taken to a guide relating to the task at hand.
- Information: orange circles with exclamation points indicate related information. Hover over them to read.
- Warnings: important information appears when you hover over a red triangle.
More API Options
These options have been added under Tools > API. For full documentation and output examples, please visit the API pages in your system.
- GET Guides v1.1
- GET Accounts
- GET Subjects
- GET Assets
- For GET Guides/:id/pages, guides/:id/boxes, and guides/:id/meta, please see the API v1.0 page that is linked from the bottom of Tools > API
See Where Users are Coming From - Referring URL Stat
View where users are coming from by checking out the referrer URLs in guide page statistics.
- Go to Stats > Guides
- Run a Report
- Click the Guide's Title
- If referring URL information is available, view by clicking the 'eye' icon next to the number of views
Bug Fixes & Small Enhancements
- Create Guide-level XML Exports
- Guides with a single page using side-navigation layout now display a tab for that page. This allows for the display of sub-pages and box-level navigation.
- HTML added to an asset's description field is rendered everywhere that description is displayed, including on-hover pop-up bubbles.
- Rename a reused box
- Rich-Text Assets are limited to 65K characters and now if you go over that allotment, an alert message lets you know how many characters need to be removed.
- Author links in Guides Lists go to the right place now.